Miss Kelsey's Review

The Boxcar Children
By: Gertrude Chandler Warner


4 young children look in the windows of a bakery shop, hungry for bread. They would do anything for a piece of bread except to steal. They are hard working kids that value what they have. The store owner and his wife seems to take them in but late at night when the children overhear how the bakery owner and his wife were going to split them up and give the younger two away, the children leave....together. For they also value family. Family comes first and they will stay together forever.

These are the Alden children. Even though they don't have a father nor a mother they learned that family is more important than anything. So when they decide to go off on their own to stay together they find a Boxcar stranded in the middle of the woods. As they turn that Boxcar into a nice home for themselves, the oldest finds work near by that will help pay for food. What he doesn't realize is that it will get them closer to the mind that is trying to find them....their Grandfather.

As the Alden children get closer to the man that is trying to find them, they also learn more about who they truly are as a family. How they can overcome being by themselves, in the woods, living in a Boxcar.

As a child, this was one of my first books that I have ever read, and I truly loved it. I started reading the entire series of the Boxcar children, following them on mystery after mystery. As a child, I loved the whodunnit's and The Boxcar Children gave that to me. Yes Nancy Drew is great, she solves all of her mysteries, the Hardy Boys are amazing for they are always smarter than people realize but the Four children that live in a Boxcar is without the best mystery stories any child could ask for. Even now, when I am all grown up and I want to escape the realities of life, I turn to Henry, Jessie, Violet and Benny trying to solve a mystery that seems to be too tough for the local police. And I also love that they stand up for themselves, and that they can take of themselves. They are so strong even at a young age, and they will fight anyone who will rip them apart from each other. Family is a such a huge part of my life, that I really love the way that these kids will do anything to make sure that they are together....solving mysteries one after another!!!!

Read these to your kids...they will love them. I know when I have kids, I will be reading these none stop to them, I promise you that!!!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guided Reading Level for Your Children

Happy New Year, Monkey

The Broken Outlaw's second book